This blog post was originally posted on July 11 2015, and was updated on September 3, 2020.
Huevos a la flamenca, or “flamenco-style eggs” are an Andalusian classic.
This is the perfect dish for spring and summer, and a great way to enjoy the seasonal vegetables from Seville’s food markets. Traditionally, huevos a la flamenca are served hot in small individual ramekins.
Whether you throw it together for lunch, or serve it to friends and family at dinner, this huevos a la flamenca recipe will be a hit every time.
What are huevos a la flamenca?
Flamenco-style eggs are a staple of southern Spanish cuisine. It consists of a layer of eggs baked over vegetables, all topped with an array of Spain’s favorite ingredient: pork products. Like all the best rustic dishes, there’s no original recipe, and every Spanish grandparent has their own spin on it!
But because the recipe is so simple, the quality of the ingredients is super important. Go for free-range eggs if possible, and locally sourced produce to ensure freshness.
Even the ramekins make a difference here—baking the huevos a la flamenca in individual portions ensures that each one gets the most flavor possible.
Huevos a la flamenca are traditionally eaten for lunch or dinner—unlike in many English-speaking countries, eggs aren’t really a breakfast food here in Spain. But if you’d like to serve this huevos a la flamenca recipe for breakfast, we’re not judging! It makes a healthy and simple morning meal to start your day on a delicious note.
Easy huevos a la flamenca recipe
Our huevos a la flamenca recipe is simple and delicious, making it easy to enjoy a taste of southern Spain no matter where you are in the world!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 15–20 grams (1–1.3 tablespoons) fresh tomatoes, grated
- 8 eggs
- 8 slices Serrano or Iberian ham
- 8 slices chorizo
- 140 grams (5 oz) peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 395º F (201º C).
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over low heat. Add the onion and peppers and sauté slowly until soft, approximately 10. minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and paprika. Continue to sauté over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and divide the tomato, onion and pepper mixture into 4 ramekins.
- Break 2 eggs on top of each ramekin, and top with 2 slices of ham, 2 slices of chorizo and a handful of peas.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Garnish with parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!